- Install a carbon monoxide alarm near all bedrooms.
- Install ceiling-mounted smoke alarms that are at least 4 inches away from the walls on every level of your home.
- Wall-mounted smoke alarms should be installed 4 to 12 inches away from the ceiling.
- Ensure smoke alarms are UL listed.
- Test your smoke alarms once a month.
- Vacuum your smoke alarms every 6 months.
- Change your smoke alarm batteries at least once a year.
- Do not run electrical wires under carpets.
- Keep towels, curtains and other flammables at 3 feat away from space heaters.
- Do not let your clothes dryer continue running when you leave your home.
- Have your chimney cleaned and inspected by a professional at least once a year.
- Keep your grill at least 3 feet away from your home.
- Develop and practice a home evacuation plan.
- Make sure every family member knows 2 ways out of each room in your home.
- Choose a place outside your home for all family members to meet.